Legal problems as a student

The majority of students are young and are more likely to make mistakes as they grow and learn. Students can sometimes run into liability claims against them, and it is important to have the right type of cover to support the process.

    studente met juridische problemen en een wetboek
    As a student, am I automatically co-insured on my parents' legal expenses insurance?

    No. Adult students must take out their own insurance, just as is the case for health insurance. However, it is possible to have the student co-insured through the parents' legal expenses insurance. This is often also financially more interesting than your own legal expenses insurance.

    What does the legal expenses insurance cover?

    The legal assistance insurance reimburses the costs incurred in the context of legal transactions. This can be in kind (lawyers of the insurer) or in money (available amount for a lawyer of your choice). Each insurer applies its own conditions and restrictions, which of course does not make comparing legal expenses insurance any easier. It is often necessary to check which modules are interesting or not for the student. By default, legal assistance insurance almost always covers claims, conflicts with the government, contractual disputes, personal and family law (less interesting for students) and criminal cases where there is no intent. As far as the optional covers are concerned, the living cover (e.g. problems with the landlord of the room), the traffic cover (covers all legal disputes that arise in traffic, i.e. also if the student rides a bicycle) and the work cover (e.g. legal dispute about the dismissal from the student job) interesting.

    Is there a waiting period for legal expenses insurance for students?

    Yes. There is a waiting period where the student cannot make a claim. The insurer is sure that the student will not take out legal assistance insurance if there is a conflict on the horizon. The waiting time differs from insurer to insurer, with an average of 6 to 15 weeks.

    Can I get free legal advice as a student?

    Some colleges and universities offer the opportunity to obtain free legal advice internally. This often involves students who are following legal training. An example of such an initiative is the Legal Student Counter at Hogeschool Utrecht. In addition, students can also appeal to the National Student Law Office, where students also work to issue initial advice free of charge. For complex questions, it is almost always advisable to call in professional help. The student receives the correct support through the legal expenses insurance.

    Does my legal expenses insurance also cover legal conflicts abroad?

    There are major differences between insurers, but cover is usually limited to the Netherlands itself. Some insurers sometimes also offer cover in Europe, for example in the event of disputes about holiday homes abroad. Extra coverage may be added for studies abroad. There are also special legal expenses insurance policies that have been designed just for foreign countries, for example for expats.

    Do I have to report my student debt to lenders?

    Yes. The student debt is not registered with the BKR (Credit Registration Office), but it is mandatory to pass this on to the lenders. Failure to report student debt can have far-reaching consequences. One can even lose the NHG (National Mortgage Guarantee).

    Does my student loan affect my mortgage?

    Yes. Banks determine the borrowing capacity based on income and expenditure. Student debts are taken into account on the expenditure side. The bank assumes that the fixed charge for the student debt is 0.45% (repayment obligation started from 1 July 2015) or 0.75% (before 1 July 2015) of the original student debt.